The K-1 visa permits foreign citizen to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen within 90 days of arrival. The foreign citizen will then apply for adjustment of status to a permanent resident with the U.S. Because a visa permits the holder to immigrate to the U.S. and marry a U.S. citizen shortly after arrival in the United States.
Requirement For Entering the US Using a K-1 Visa
- You must get married within 90 days of entering the United States on a K1 fiance visa. Absent real hardship, you must have met with your fiancee in the past two years.
- You should consider applying for work authorization.
- You must meet minimum financial requirements. You need to allow time for a police check in each jurisdiction you have lived in.
- There are issues of foreign law that may impact your ability to apply for a K-1 fiance visa.
- Once married you have to apply for a conditional green card.
Requirements for a K-1 Visa:
- You must be a U.S. citizen;
- You must have met your fiancee within the past 2 years;
- You and your fiancee must be legally free to marry single or divorced
- You and your fiancee must have a serious intention to marry within 90 days of your fiancee’s arrival in the U.S.; and
- You must meet minimum financial requirements.
Application Procedure for a K-1 Visa
The U.S. citizen must file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancee. Once your case is approved by USCIS, your case will be sent to the U.S. consulate in your fiance native country. Your fiance(e) will then be asked to fill out paperwork, produce police clearance from everywhere they have lived, take a medical exam and to got for an interview in the U.S. consulate.