Staying and Working in Australia After Your Degree: Things to Note

 Staying and Working in Australia After Your Degree: Things to Note

Throughout your life as a budding academic you have invested in your future career; now it’s time to bite the bullet, get out there, and snag that job but It turns out you love your study abroad destination far more than you ever could imagine, and you really aren’t ready for your journey to end. Well unfortunately, that really leaves you no option but to Stay and work in Australia!

Here is a list of what you need to know to find work after your studies in Australia:

1. The Legalities of the Work Visa in Australia

There are a number of visa options for people seeking work in Australia. It’s really important that you conduct your own research to ensure you are filling out the correct application, or you could land yourself in a lot of trouble! Check out the Australian Government’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website regularly for more detailed information.

All Australian work visas can be applied for online as well as in person. If you decide you want to go in and arrange the visa yourself, you will need to co-ordinate visiting your local Australian embassy or consulate independently.

If you are earning an income whilst in Australia, you MUST be in possession of the correct visa. Just remember to do your research thoroughly and you’ll be on your way to getting that perfect Aussie work-life balance.

Here are a few of the most popular visas for international students who wants to join the Aussie working life:

1. 485 Skilled Graduate

The most common work visa for former international students in Australia is the 485 Skilled Graduate Visa. This visa is temporary, valid for a minimum of 18 months to a maximum of four years, and is open to any individual who has completed at least two years of study in Australia. This post-study work visa is applicable for full-time work for former students.

2. Employer Sponsored

This visa relies on lawfully operating Australian businesses or overseas businesses with an Australian entity. A company in search of certain skill sets might decide to sponsor a particular individual to come and work for them. If this is something that interests you, it is advised to start searching for a company willing to sponsor you at least 3-6 months in advance, as the paperwork can be daunting and difficult to process.

3. Working Holiday Visa- 417 or 462

This visa is typically more popular with backpackers than the post-degree crowd, but it is still an option to keep in mind if you are looking for work in Australia after your graduation. The first option is the subclass 417 working holiday visa.

If you are a citizen of Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, the Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, the Republic of Korea, malta, Netherlands, Nowray, Sweden, Taiwan or the United Kingdom, and are within the age of 18-30 you are eligible for this visa. It permits individuals to work for up to 12 months in Australia, with the addendum that you can only work for a company for a maximum of six months.

For citizens of Chile, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey or the United States, you can apply for the subclass 462 visa. Both the subclass 417 and the 462 do not limit the number of entries and exits you have. It’s really important to note that you must apply for this visa from outside Australia, not within, so if this is your go-to plan, be sure to factor in a visit elsewhere to organise your visa!

Popular Work Abroad Options in Australia

Skilled graduates from tertiary universities in Australia are in incredibly high demand, especially if you can boast a number of advanced language skills on top of your degree. The Australian hospitality, health and tech industries are seeking talented employees. International students with degrees in relevant fields are good as gold, and management skills are in high demand in all the industries that have been mentioned. Newly-grads interested in becoming nurses, physiotherapists, clinical managers, web developers, coders and salespeople can easlity jump start their lifelong careers with a brief working stint down under.

It is advised that you target an industry or economic sector prior to starting your job hunt. the longstanding strong industries in Australia are agriculture, mining, tourism and manufacturing, so if you are drawn to any of those sectors, you won’t be hard pressed for work opportunities.

For those seeking the more laid back work-holiday visa lifestyle, consider working in Australia as an au pair, in a bar or restaurant, or as a fruit picker. You might even take it a step further and become a certified SCUBA instructor or work at an Outback station! There is an abundance of temporary work options in this vein, and considering you can have any number of jobs in your 12 month stay, why not try them all?!


0 Reviews