The Job Options Available For International Student in the Czech Republic

 The Job Options Available For International Student in the Czech Republic

The Czech Republic is currently a very attractive country for foreign professionals. With a growing economy and the lowest unemployment rate in the EU (2.7% in April 2019), the country offers job opportunities for people from all over the world. Every year the number of foreigners coming to the Czech Republic, and Prague in particular, to look for jobs and work opportunities grows exponentially. There are more than 200.000 foreigners living in Prague which is twice as many as a decade ago.

Foreigners in the Czech Republic most often work in production, then in administration or the field of trade or IT. The segment of tourism and education is also very popular especially because native speakers from all over the world can use their language skills. Excellent knowledge of the Czech language is not always necessary for work in the Czech Republic. In large cities such as Prague, there are many corporations situated and their working language is usually English. When looking for a job, you can also consider the help of a recruitment agency

Many students work and study at the same time. Having a part-time job or summer work is very common in the Czech Republic. There are working options for international students as well, just be prepared that the job offer may be limited since most jobs require fluency in the Czech language, but your ability to speak or understand various languages can be a plus.

Minimum gross salary for full-time jobs (40 hours per week):13 350 CZK per month or 79,80 CZK per hour (in 2019)
Average gross salary for full-time jobs (40 hours per week):34 125 CZK per month (in 2019)
A typical rate for part-time jobs:around 140 CZK per hour for administrative work

Would you like to find a job in the Czech Republic while or after your studies at the university? The process depends on where you come from, and if you are a full-time student or a graduate.

For EU/EEA or Switzerland citizens:

Citizens of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland or their family members do not need an employment permit, Employee Card or Blue Card to be employed on the territory of the Czech Republic. These nationals have the same legal status as citizens of the Czech Republic, as the country is a member of the European Union. F

For Non EU/EEA/ Third-country citizens:

If you are a third-country citizen (i.e. not an EU/EAA or Swiss citizen), you are allowed to work while studying, but please bear in mind that you are staying in the Czech Republic on basis of a visa for study purposes, therefore paid work cannot be your primary occupation during your stay. Your work should not affect your studies.

Third-country students studying in the Czech Republic in a present (daily) form of studies in a degree programme accredited by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports don’t need an employment permit. The employer is only obliged to notify the relevant regional office of the Public Employment Service about the start of your work.

Third-country students who come only for a student exchange program or distance learning form of studies are allowed to work without an employment permit too, but only if they are up to the age of 26 and their performance of work does not exceed 7 consecutive calendar days or a total of 30 days within a calendar year.

In all other cases, the citizens who do not come from the EU/EEA countries or Switzerland may be employed in the Czech Republic if they have obtained an employment permit and a residence permit, or an Employee Card or a Blue Card (both cards combine a work permit and a residence permit in one document). The local Employment Office is always the relevant contact point for issuing the employment permit. The work permit is issued for a definite period, a maximum of two years, however; a foreigner may even apply for an employment permit repeatedly. Please note that the work permit is only valid provided the following attributes are specified in the decision: the employer, the type of work you will be performing, and the location where your work will take place.

If you are a third country citizen, you obtained your university education in the Czech Republic, you have already finished your studies, and you wish to stay in the Czech Republic for work purposes, you have to apply for an employee card. Foreign nationals who have obtained university education in the Czech Republic have free access to the labor market. In this case, the employee card serves merely as a long-term residence permit where the stated purpose of the foreign national’s stay (longer than 3 months) is employment.

How to Find a Job in the Czech Republic After Graduation

When looking for a job, try career centers and info desks at universities first, as the faculties should have contacts in a variety of industries. You can also ask your friends, classmates, local students, or teachers. Besides, you can start your search through the job portals or contact directly someone from a chosen company. After graduation, all international alumni have free access to the labor market.

If you hold a long-term residence permit for study purposes and you have completed university education (from an accredited programme by MOE), you may apply for long-term residence for 9 months and look for a job or start your own business in the Czech Republic. Foreign legal entities are allowed to conduct trade activities, including the acquisition of real estate, under the same conditions, and to the same extent as Czech companies. They may become founders or co-founders of a company or may join an existing Czech company.

It is also usual to send an e-mail to a potential employer; phone calls are not normally preferred. You should send a CV together with a cover letter. Be always prepared for an interview.


0 Reviews