Tips for Finding Job in the UK as a Student

 Tips for Finding Job in the UK as a Student

Students making the leap from their native country to travel and study abroad are a daring, fantastic bunch of inquisitive people; letting their curiosities run wild and exploring the world. If their next stop is the UK to continue and flourish in their studies, then they may find securing a job overseas will also help.

Cost of living fluctuates across the UK cities but regardless, it is important to know the tips when it comes to finding a job as an expat.

If you are from the EU, EEA or Switzerland

We have good news! There are no restrictions or extraordinary applying procedures when seeking work in the UK. Naturally, you will need to provide proof of your nationality, which your employer will ask for. The EEA (European Economic Area) also includes Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland. Although, Romanian, Croation and Bulgarian students may need special permission.

If you are from outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland

So international students may already know this, but they will have had to apply for a Tier 4 visa and in order to work in the UK, there are, unfortunately, some strict regulations. In order to find out if a student can work or not, they are able to check the visa sticker or the Biometric Residence Permit, which can be found in their passport.

No need to worry, we are almost over the boring part! Below is a quick and help list which outlines what Tier 4 visa students can and cannot do:

Tier 4 students can do:
  • During term time and studying full-time at degree level or higher can work 20 hours per week
  • During term time and studying full-time BELOW degree level can work 10 hours per week
  • During the holidays or after your programme ends, students are able to work full-time
  • Or a work placement which is part of your studies
Tier 4 students cannot do:
  • Self-employed work, freelancing or gig-economy, such as Deliveroo
  • A professional entertainer, sportsperson and coach
  • Work as a full-time employee in a permanent position
  • A work placement that is not assessed and part of your studies
  • Taking part in business activities
Other little things to know
National Insurance Card

All EU and international students will need to apply for a national insurance card before applying for a job. It can take up to 12 weeks for it to arrive, so contact your closed Work and Pensions Department to find out more.

National Living Wage
  • Under 18s – £4.20
  • 18-20 – £5.90
  • 21-24 – 7.38
  • 25 and over – £7.83


0 Reviews